A word from ACS Superintendent Burleson — Highlights of fall semester, SCOTTIE, Snow Camp
David Burleson / (firstname.lastname@example.org)
As we return to school for the second semester, I would like to say thank you for the important role you play each day in helping us foster student success. There is evidence of your support and service in many venues and we want you to know that we greatly appreciate what each of you offers to our schools. Your interest and involvement in the Avery County Schools is truly a lasting gift and one that not only benefits our students and teachers, but the entire community.
As I reflect upon the fall semester, many special highlights come to mind. The following are just a few of those events:
• A record number of our students participated in our local and regional science fair (185 participants from elementary, middle and high school, entering 135 projects)
• The Avery High Marching Band completed one of its most successful seasons ever.
• The Avery High JROTC and students from Cranberry Middle School supported the “Trees for Troops” program.
• The Avery High Construction Classes supported Habitat for Humanity, assisting in the construction of new homes for our community.
• The Avery High FFA attended the national convention and had a former student, Katie Stamey, named as an American Scholar.
• Our students collected an unprecedented amount of food and toys for needy families.
• We had one of the largest groups ever inducted into the National Honor Society and National Technical Honor Society at Avery High School.
• For the first time ever, each of our schools inducted students into the Beta Club.
These areas of student participation and success can only be credited to our staff members, our parents and the members of our community.
To read the complete story, please pick up a copy of your hometown newspaper, The Avery Journal-Times, available at almost 100 locations in Newland, Banner Elk, Crossnore, Spruce Pine and Roan Mountain, Tenn. To subscribe to The Avery Journal-Times, please call (828) 733-0401 or click to https://ssl.jonesmedia.biz/circ/index.php?db=avery.