Get Breaking News

Enter your email address to sign up.

Receive special offers from
Originally published: 2012-11-15 12:32:50
Last modified: 2012-11-15 12:32:50

Veterans’ Corner 11.15.12

VA fills vet-retraining slots

The Department of Veterans Affairs has approved applications for all 45,000 slots available in fiscal year 2012 under the successful Veterans Retraining Assistance Program and is in the process of approving applications for a total of 54,000 slots available in FY 2013. VRAP is a new training and education program for unemployed veterans who want to upgrade their skills for high-demand jobs. To learn more about VRAP and apply online, click to VA’s VOW to Hire Heroes Act of 2011 webpage at or call VA toll-free at (800) 827-1000. Information about the Department of Labor’s programs for veterans is available at the Department of Labor VETS website by clicking to Veterans can also visit the nearly 3,000 One-Stop Career Centers across the nation, listed at America’s Service Locator by clicking to for in-person employment assistance. 

Are you eligible for a VA home loan? 

In order to obtain a VA home loan, you must first fill out VA Form 26-1880, the request for your Certificate of Eligibility. This certificate is issued only through the Veterans Administration, and is the first step towards applying for your loan. Veterans, active duty, guard or reserve and military spouses potentially qualify for this certificate. Keep in mind that the Certificate of Eligibility, while necessary, only allows an eligible individual to apply for a home loan; it does not guarantee a loan approval. Eligibility for the certificate is based on an individual’s (or a spouse’s) military service.Montgomery GI Bill now worth up to $56,304 

Effective Oct. 1, 2012, the full-time monthly GI Bill rate will increase 6 percent to $1,564. Now is the time to use the GI Bill. Find schools with VA-approved programs that may: 

• Give credit for military experience with ACE credits 

• Allow you to test out of classes with CLEP 

• Offer online courses with flexible class times

Use the GI Bill to get up to $56,304 toward paying for your degree. To find schools with VA-approved programs, ask your local VA counselor. 

Note: Those without computers can go a library for computer assistance.For VA questions, call Georgia Henry at (828) 733-8211. 

Comments and suggestions on the Veteran’s Corner can be emailed to Mike Halus at (