Veterans’ Corner 9.27.12
The website http://www.benefits.military.com/reg/Veterans-Benefits.do?ESRC=mrvr.nl is an easy way to check to see if you are receiving all your benefits.
Veteran’s pensions …
Many veterans of wartime service are completely unaware of the fact that if they are age 65 or older and on a limited income they may qualify for a VA Pension without being disabled. You qualify if:
• You were discharged from service under other than dishonorable conditions; and
• You served 90 days or more of active duty with at least one day during a period of war time.
NOTE: 38 CFR 3.12a requires that anyone who enlisted after Sept. 7, 1980, generally has to serve at least 24 months or the full period for which a person was called or ordered to active duty in order to receive any benefits based on that period of service. With the advent of the Gulf War on Aug. 2, 1990, (and still not ended by Congress to this day), veterans can now serve after Sept. 7, 1980, during a period of wartime. When they do, they generally must serve 24 months to be eligible for pension or any other benefit. But note the exclusions in 38 CFR 3.12(d), and
• You are age 65 or older, or permanently and totally disabled,and
• Your countable family income is below a yearly limit set by law:
2012 family income limits (effective Dec. 1, 2012)
• If you are a veteran with no dependents: $12,256
• If you are a veteran with a spouse or a child: $16,051
• If you are a homebound veteran with no dependents: $14,978
• If you are a homebound veteran with one dependent: $18,773
• If you are a veteran who needs aid and attendance and you have no dependents: $20,447
• If you are a veteran who needs aid and attendance and you have one dependent: $24,239
• If you are two veterans married to each other: $16,051
• If you are an early war veteran, add to the above: $2,783
• For each additional child, add to the above: $2,093
Note: Those without computers can go a library for computer assistance.For VA questions, call Georgia Henry at (828) 733-8211.
Comments and suggestions on the Veteran’s Corner can be emailed to Mike Halus at (firstname.lastname@example.org)